(This Operational Guidelines supporting General Academic Regulations is mainly applicable to undergraduate, diploma (except PDES and PGPSY) and certificate programmes.)

(Last updated on 16 January 2014)

1. Student Registration

1.1 Registration

(The following operational guidelines on double major, minor(s) and double counting are only applicable to students in programmes under the new 4-or 5-year curriculum.  For details, please refer to this website: https://www.ied.edu.hk/ad/view.php?m=3317&secid=3636)


Double Major

All undergraduate students are required to declare a major within their programme of study upon admission. Students who are admitted to a full-time undergraduate degree programme (with no programme/curriculum restriction) may be permitted to enroll in a Second Major in addition to their First Major, subject to programme specific requirements and programme GPA requirement of normally 3.0 or above in the first year of study. For the details of the Second Major and prescribed second major courses and requirements, please refer to the information posted online (https://www.ied.edu.hk/ad/view.php?m=3317&secid=3636)

To facilitate planning, you will be required to indicate your intended Second Major by submitting your application for taking Second Major online in March of the respective academic year to obtain prior approval* of the relevant party or unit by the end of your first year of study (i.e. August of the respective academic year after your assessment results were endorsed by the year-end Board of Examiners). Before making an application, you should study the details posted online carefully to ascertain whether you have met the programme requirements of taking Second Major and consult the relevant Programme Leader/Coordinator for guidance and advice. Online application form for taking Second Major is available via MyIEd (Navigation: (MyIEd > Spaces > iServices > Online Services > e-SIS > Second Major/Minor(s)).

*For FLASS and FEHD, applications for taking the Second Major will be approved by the Head of Department which offers the Second Major Subject. For FHM, applications for taking the Second Major will be endorsed by the Programme Leader of respective programmes, followed by the approval of Associate Dean (US&QE).

Normally, the minimum credit requirement for a Second Major is 30 credit points out of the available credit points in the Elective domain. When you have completed all the prescribed Second Major courses and requirements, you are required to declare/register the Second Major with the Registry in the last semester (i.e. April of the respective year) before graduation. Online declaration form and details can be found via MyIEd  (Navigation: MyIEd > Spaces > iServices > Online Services > e-SIS > Second Major/Minor(s)).  Students who have declared Double Majors and completed both majors within the normal period of study will receive a single degree award (based on the First Major) with both majors recorded on their transcripts.

If a student fails to fulfill the requirements of his/her First Major, he/she will not be allowed to graduate even though he/she may have satisfied the requirements of his/her Second Major and all other conditions for graduation. Students who opt for a Second Major but cannot complete the relevant requirements will graduate without the Second Major. You should be aware of your responsibilities to fulfill all the graduation requirements within the normal study period. You should also refer to the regulations (Section 8 of the GAR) on 'Period of Study'. The Institute does not guarantee that related arrangements such as course registration, timetable, examination schedule etc. will tally with students' study plans and if necessary, you would need to extend the period of study and pay additional fee on a pro-rata basis to complete the requirements for a Second Major.

There is no shifting of Second Major to become the First Major. If you wish to change your Major, you should meet the specific requirements and consult the relevant Programme Leader/Coordinator for advice and approval as stipulated in the GARs. For application for change of Major, please refer to this operational guideline (Section 1.5).



Students who are admitted to a full-time undergraduate degree programme (except those programmes with programme/curriculum restriction) have the option of taking a Minor of 15 cps (or two Minors) of taught courses for graduation with Minor(s). No teaching practice will be involved in Minor subjects. For the details of Minor(s) and prescribed courses and requirements for minor(s), please refer to the information posted online

You can choose to declare/register the Minor when successfully completing requisite courses/requirement for a particular Minor before graduation. The Minor(s) will appear on your transcripts. When you have completed all the prescribed credit points for registering a Minor(or two Minors), you have to submit your completed online declaration form for taking a Minor (or two Minors) to the Registry, via MyIEd in the last semester (i.e. April of the respective year) before graduation. Online declaration form and details can be found via MyIEd (Navigation: MyIEd > Spaces > iServices > Online Services > e-SIS > Second Major/Minor(s)).


For students who have not declared/registered the Second Major/Minor(s) with Registry before the deadline of declaration, the course(s)/no. of credit points which they have completed for their Second Major/Minor(s) will be counted towards the no. of credit points of electives completed in the programme.  Declaration made after the deadline will not be considered.


Double Counting

Double Counting is only used to fulfill a requirement but will not reduce the number of credit points a student needs to take overall in a programme. You are only allowed to double count up to a maximum of 9 credit points within a 5-year BEd programme and 6 credit points within a 4-year undergraduate degree programme. You are required to take another course(s) to meet the credit requirement of your programme. Individual programme may need to consider and specify what course(s) that you should take to make up the shortfall of the credit requirements. For the details of the course(s) in relation to double counting, please refer to your Faculty's website or contact your Faculty.

1.2 Course Registration


In 2013/14, first-year undergraduate students of selected programmes are required to meet their Academic Advisors in person at least once by 31 December 2013 to discuss their study plans and other academic-related matters, while other students may seek advice from their advisors (who will be assigned by your Faculty upon request) on a voluntary basis. Prior to registering for any courses, you are responsible for submitting your study plan to your advisor and monitoring your academic progress with the aid of DegreeWorks (through MyIEd). The study plan should reflect the courses you plan to take in your remaining semester(s)/year(s) of study. Please visit http://www.ied.edu.hk/advising for details.


Students who have applied for taking double major are allowed to register in the course(s) related to their double major subject during the period of course registration for returning students in the second semester of their first year of study (i.e. during the process of their applications). If your application is unsuccessful, you can drop the relevant course(s) during the add/drop period in the first semester of your second year of study.


It is the responsibility of students to ensure the completion of course registration before they take the full range of course activities including class attendance and all stipulated assessment tasks. If course registration is performed on-line via MyIEd, you must ensure that the whole registration process has been completed. Incomplete course registration will lead to serious consequences: you will not be allowed to attend any activities of those unregistered courses or to take any related assessment tasks such as examinations and as a result your answer sheets will not be marked nor will grades be recorded on the Transcript. Students not registering for any course in a semester (excluding the summer session) will be considered to have withdrawn from their programme at the Institute unless deferment of studies has been approved by the relevant Programme Leader/ Coordinator. Upon approval of deferment of studies, the student has to pay a continuation fee in order to retain his or her student status and to continue using the facilities of the Institute.


Registration in some courses is restricted to students holding the necessary prerequisites.


Students who wish to take less credit points than the minimum number of credit points or take credit points beyond the maximum number of credit points as required in a semester should obtain prior approval from their Programme Leader/Coordinator. For the details of credit points in a semester required by your programme, please refer to the programme handbook or the Faculty's website. Likewise, students are not allowed to take zero credit point/course unless with prior approval (stipulated in GAR 7.3) from their Programme Leader/Coordinator. Students not taking any credit point/course in a semester without prior approval will be considered to have withdrawn from their programme at the Institute (stipulated in GAR 4.1).


Classes for all programmes are normally scheduled from Monday to Saturday with possible scheduling of combined classes for programmes/courses of different modes of study such as full-time, part-time and mixed-mode. You may refer to your own timetable via MyIEd (https://my.ied.edu.hk/portal/page/portal/HKIEd/MyIEdLogin) after course registration.


Add/Drop Course

You can add or drop a course by taking proper procedures as specified by your Faculty during the add-drop period (i.e. normally the first two weeks in a regular semester or the period which is specified by the Faculty). You are permitted to drop a course after the add-drop period but before the examination period or before the deadline for submission of final assignments, whichever applicable, only for strong personal reasons, such as serious illnesses. Application forms can be obtained from the Faculty or downloaded from the Faculty's website. When the application is approved, the respective Programme Leader/Coordinator should return the approved form to the Faculty for information and necessary action. The Faculty should inform the Registry for record and the concerned course lecturer for grade input. The grade W (Withdrawn) will be given through the course lecturer and recorded on the students' transcript.


Student IEdSmart Card (the “Card”)

The Card is issued to all registered students of the Institute for the purpose of identification and physical access. Upon completion of the programme registration procedures, you will be assigned a unique student number and issued a Card free of charge. The front of the Card displays your photograph, name (English and Chinese), student number, level of study (except exchange students, visiting students and elderly students), programme code, mode of study and the valid date of the Card. For more information on the use of the Card, please refer to the IEdSmart Card Users' Guide at http://www.ied.edu.hk/reg/student_handbook/text_en4.8.html.


Double Registration

You must apply to the Registrar in writing for double registration before registering for study for another qualification. You are required to submit your written request (with supporting document(s) and justification(s)) to the Registry for processing. The Registrar will consider your request in consultation with the Programme Leader/Coordinator. You will be notified of the result of your application by writing. Violation of the regulation may lead to discontinuation of studies at the Institute. In case of doubt, please seek advice from the Registry.

1.3 Student Records


Change and/Update of Personal Particulars

Your personal particulars recorded at the time of registration will be maintained in the Institute's permanent student records. During your study at the Institute, you should report any changes in your personal data to the Institute immediately. You can go through MyIEd (Navigation: MyIEd > Spaces > iServices > Online Services > e-SIS > Personal Information) to use online self-service for updating your address and/or contact phone number at any time or complete the Application Form for Change of Personal Particulars which can be downloaded from this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456) or obtained from the Information Centre and Faculties.

Requests to change your HKID number, name, date of birth must be supported by legal documentary evidence. Any requests for further changes to students' personal particulars WILL NOT be entertained at the point of programme completion or withdrawal.

Since most of the non-local students do not have a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID Card) at the time of registration, they are required to update their personal particulars by providing the Registry with their HKID number once they have obtained their HKID card. Students may come to the Information Centre to present their HKID card. For enquiries, please contact the Registry at 2948 6710.



The Alumni Affairs and Development Office (AADO) manages the Institute's alumni affairs and fund-raising matters. AADO aims to expand the alumni network, strengthen the bonds between alumni and the Institute, and is dedicated to sustainable engagement of alumni members.

All graduates will automatically join the alumni network and enjoy various alumni privileges. Your personal particulars will be forwarded to AADO for maintaining a close connection between you and the Institute. Students who do not want to be contacted for alumni affairs purpose, please inform AADO separately.

Information on alumni services and activities can be found on the AADO website: http://www.ied.edu.hk/aado.


Leave of Absence

Class participation is an important element of learning in a programme. You should develop a strong sense of responsibility and be punctual in attending classes. The Institute places great emphasis on the punctuality and attendance of students. You are therefore expected to attend all scheduled classes and activities.

Students must seek approval from the Programme Leader/Coordinator by submitting a leave application form, if they wish to take a leave of absence exceeding 7 days but less than one semester. Application forms can be obtained from the Faculty or downloaded from the Faculty's website. You should complete the form and follow the required procedures as stipulated by your Faculty for approval. Where necessary, individual courses/programmes/departments may specify attendance requirements.

The Institute respects the rights of all religions. Should your religious affiliation prevent you from attending any scheduled academic activities associated with your programme of study in the Institute, please inform your Programme Leader/Coordinator and/or the Registry with documentary evidence in advance. The Institute will try to make appropriate adjustments as far as possible.

1.4 Credit Transfer and Course Exemption


Credit Transfer

Credit transfer may be granted for courses completed successfully at the Institute previously or another accredited tertiary institution. The transferred courses will appear on the student’s transcript. The credit points transferred will be counted towards the graduation requirements  but will be excluded from the calculation of the student’s GPA. The total number of credit points transferred will not exceed 50% of the total credit points of the programme.    Students may apply for credit transfer within the first two weeks of each semester in each academic year. For courses on offer in the summer semester, applications should be submitted one week before the commencement of the semester. Previously approved cases for credit transfer are available from this website (http://my2.ied.edu.hk) for your reference. Application forms and procedures can be obtained from the Information Centre or downloaded from this website: (https://my2.ied.edu.hk/webcenter/content/conn/ucm_conn1/

Guidelines on the granting of Credit Transfer*

(a) Only qualifications of equivalent or higher level studies at the Institute, local or overseas institutions will be accepted for credit transfer.


Programme Committees and academic departments may prescribe specific requirements and a time-limit for eligibility for credit transfer. The latest requirements and time-limits are listed in this website:


Normally, no credit transfer will be granted to General Education (GE) courses except any courses having prior study arrangement with the Institute, like block credit transfer of GE courses of an exchange programme. No credit transfer will be granted to substitute a failed or a completed course.


For undergraduate students undertaking exchange programmes, block credit transfer of up to 15 credits may be granted when the courses are successfully completed at the host institutions. The block credit transfer arrangement is applicable only to specified domains and the respective limits stipulated on credit points, which may vary for individual programmes. Programme Committees and academic departments may follow a pass grade or prescribe a higher grade for eligibility of credit transfer.


Students who are admitted with block credit transfer advanced standing will not be eligible for subsequent credit transfer on the basis of their entry qualifications.


Applicants may be requested to take an assessment or test in order to ascertain that the level of work completed has met the requirements of programmes, Faculties and /or academic departments.


Applicants have to take the full range of course activities, including but not limited to lectures, tutorials and assessment tasks of the courses, until they have received the official notification of result from the Registry.


It will normally take 2 to 4 weeks to process an application. Therefore students are suggested applying for credit transfer as early as possible within the first two weeks of each semester or one week before the commencement of the summer semester. Late applications will only be considered on condition that there was enough time to complete the application process (normally 4 weeks) before the end of the courses concerned.


Applicants may appeal against the final decision on credit transfer. To appeal, the applicant shall write to the Registry with justifications and additional information / evidence within either 14 working days of being notified of the decision or the latest day on which the appeal can be processed completely before the end of the courses concerned, whichever the shorter will be adopted.


For those cases of credit transfer arising from change of programme/ major/ minor or mode of study, please read in conjunction with the Notes and Procedures for Application for Change of Programme/Major/Minor or Mode of Study.


Course Exemption

Course Exemption may be granted for courses completed in other institutions for recognized qualifications. Students who are so exempted must replace the exempted course with a course of the same credit value. The exempted courses will not appear on the student's transcript and will be excluded from the calculation of GPAs. Students who wish to apply for course exemption should submit their requests by writing to their Programme Leader/Coordinator for approval.

1.5 Change of Programme/Major/Minor or Mode of Study


New students will normally not be considered to transfer to another programme if the programme are offered in the same mode of study and programmes of the same academic level, in particular the UGC-funded undergraduate programmes, during their first semester of registration.


Current students, who wish for special reasons to change from one programme/major/minor or mode of study to another during the course of study should meet the stipulated requirements.


Application exercise are arranged two times in an academic year and applications must be made within the periods specified in the application procedures below or any period specified by the respective Faculty. Before making an application, you should study the details posted by each Faculty on the intranet carefully to ascertain whether you have met the entrance requirements of the accepting programme/major/minor/mode of study and consult the relevant Programme Leader/Coordinator for guidance and advice. Application forms can be obtained at the Information Centre (Room 11, Ground Floor, Block A, Tai Po Campus) or downloaded from the Registry's website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456) Submission Procedures

A student who wishes to apply for transfer is required to

(a) check carefully whether he/she has met the entrance requirements of the accepting programme/major/minor, and whether the major/minor he/she intends to take is among the eligible combinations. (Details of the entrance requirements for each programme are posted on the respective Faculty's website.)


consult the relevant Programme Leaders/ Coordinators of both the releasing and accepting programmes/majors/minors for advice and initial approval; and


submit the application form together with a photocopy of the student's transcript (obtainable from Grade Enquiry in e-SIS) and any other documentary proof to support the application to the Assessments, Records and Systems Section of Registry via the Information Centre during the periods stipulated below for processing. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.

Submission Period for applications for change of programme/major/minor or mode of study (if applicable)

(a) 1-30 November of the current academic year (for transfer to be effective in Semester 2 of the current academic year); and


1-31 March of the current academic year (for transfer to be effective in Semester 1 of the next academic year); or


Other deadlines to be specified by relevant Faculty.


For non-local students, any transfer of programme or mode of study approved by the Institute will be reported to the Immigration Department via the International Office or Greater China Affairs Office for visa endorsement before the transfer or the change comes into effect. Please note that any transfer of programme or mode of study may affect students’ applications for extension of study visa. For the details of the Immigration Guidelines, you may refer to the website of the Immigration Department (http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/faq/imm-policy-study.html#exten_stay).

1.5.5 Application fee for each application for transfer is HK$50 (non-refundable). The Registry will inform the student of the result of his/her application for transfer of programme before the commencement of the effective semester/academic year. Student should remain in the releasing programme until he/she is notified of the application result. The student is required to complete his/her studies successfully in the releasing programme before transferring to the accepting programme approved to him/her. For more details, please refer to the 'Notes and Procedures for Application for Change of Programme/Major/Minor or Mode of Study' (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2472).

1.5.6 Please note that the period of study to be completed in your accepting programme is counted from the date of admission of the releasing progamme. (Also see GAR 8.4 for the maximum study period.)

1.6 Deferment and Withdrawal


Deferment of Study

You can apply for deferment of study if there is a genuine need. You may be required to provide supporting documents such as medical records. The minimum period of deferment in each application is one semester and the maximum duration for accumulative approved deferment within a programme can be up to two academic years, depending on the duration of programme that student studies. You are required to submit your application to the relevant Programme Leader/Coordinator for approval via the Registry. The form can be obtained from the Information Centre (Room 11, Ground Floor, Block A, Tai Po Campus) or downloaded from this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456). You will be informed of the result by the Registry once it is available. The deferment period is included in the maximum period of study (stipulated in GAR 8.4). In addition, you may have to retake incomplete course(s) of that academic year upon resumption of studies (including field experience). Moreover, you may be required to extend your study beyond the normal length of the programme and pay additional tuition fee on a pro-rata basis. For non-local students, please note that your deferment of study may affect your applications for extension of study visa. You may refer to the website of the Immigration Department (http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/faq/imm-policy-study.html#exten_stay) for details. A non-refundable continuation fee* per semester is required and should be settled within 2 weeks upon approval of the application. Should you fail to settle the continuation fee, you will be regarded as having withdrawn the application for deferment of studies and considered to have withdrawn from your programme at the Institute (as stipulated in GAR 4.1) or you will be given a grade F (Fail) for the registered course(s) by your course lecturer (as stipulated in GAR 13.2).

* HK$300 per semester (for UGC-funded programmes) / HK$1,500 per semester (for self-financed programmes)


Withdrawal of Study

If you decide to withdraw from study, you should notify the Institute as soon as possible by completing the withdrawal form available at the Information Centre or you can download it from this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456). You must return your Student Identity Card (IEdSmart) and clear the locker (if applicable). In addition, you should ensure that all library loans/fines and items on loan from the Institute have been settled prior to your withdrawal. Failure to do so will result in the deduction of caution money and/or withholding the issue of academic documents. You are reminded to generate the unofficial transcripts as your record via MyIEd (General Enquiry) and strongly recommended to seek advice from your Programme Leader/Coordinator and the counselling service of the Student Affairs Office before submitting the completed withdrawal form to the Registry. If you have withdrawn from your programme of study, you will have to re-apply for admission by following normal admission procedures.

2. Assessment

2.1 Method


The focus of assessment is to provide the opportunity for students to demonstrate their progress in relation to the key outcomes as defined by the Institute, programmes and courses.


Course-based assessments will include a full range of assessment tasks including formative assessments, self assessments and peer assessments. These forms of assessments allow students to monitor their own progress and seek further support where they identify any areas of specific need. Other forms of assessment such as quizzes, tests and essays will also provide opportunities for providing feedback on students' learning.


The overall course-based assessment load will be commensurate with the credit points and nature of the assessment task(s) of a course.


Timely feedback on all assessments will be available to students within a period of time depending on the course concerned but no later than one month after submission.


Full details of the methods of assessment for individual courses and the weightings assigned to each component of assessment will be stipulated in each course outline. Related assessment criteria will be given to students by the course lecturer within the first two class meetings.

Please refer to (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2472) for details of the established Policy on Student Assessment.

2.2 Late Submission of Assignment and Absence from Assessment Activities


Students shall follow the deadline for submission of assignments and present themselves for tests, examinations and prescribed assessment activities at the appointed time.


Course lecturers may approve an application for late submission of assignments based on valid cause provided by the student. Approved applications shall be copied to the Programme Leader/Coordinator for information.


Students who are unable to complete a class test/examination/ other assessment task should apply to the Head of Department through the course lecturer for special consideration. The application must be accompanied by any relevant documentary evidence, including medical certificates in cases of illness or disability.


If the Head of Department is satisfied that a student's absence from or inability to complete a class test/examination/other assessment task has a valid cause, the student will be permitted to complete further assessment work in a form to be determined by the Head of Department in consultation with the course lecturer. The grading of the further assessment work so prescribed may be lowered, on a case-by-case basis, up to one full grade.


If the Head of Department, after considering all available information, decides to reject a student's request for special consideration, the student will be accorded a fail grade (grade F) in the unattended component(s) of assessment for the course.

2.3 Taking Elective Course(s)


Electives are any of the courses other than core courses in a programme. They refer to courses offered in the following area specified in different programmes:

Table A*:

Name of Elective Domain Programmes
Free elective course(s) under Minor Studies BSocSc(GES) Note 1
Elective Studies PGDE(S)/PGDE(PVE)/PGED(P)
Free Choice of courses under Complementary Studies

Four-year Full-time BEd (except BEd(EL)/(CL))
Four-year Full-time BEd(PE)/(VA)/(MU) Note 1
Four-year Full-time BEd(S)-ICT Note 3
Three-year Part-time BEd (except BEd(PVE) and BEd(ECE))

Free elective course(s) under Elective Domain

Four-year Full-time BEd(PE)/(VA)/(MU)Note 2
Five-year Full-time BEd(P)/(ECE)/(PE)/(VA)/(MU)/(S)-ICT/(CL)

Elective Educational Studies (Choices may extend to Academic Studies) Three-year Part-time BEd(PVE)
Elective in Subject Studies/Education Studies

Three-year Part-time


BA(Lang Studies)/BA(CAC)/ BSocScEd(GCS)/BScEd(SS)/BA(LSE)/ BSocSc(GES)/BSocSc(Psy)/BScEd(SWT)/ BA(EfS)

Academic Elective BHE

* Please refer to the specific credit requirement in programme handbook of respective cohort.

Note 1: for 2010/11 cohort
Note 2: from 2011/12 cohort and onwards
Note 3: from 2012/13 cohort and onwards


Taking extra course(s) from the Elective Domain specified in the above Table A

Course(s) in the Elective Domain specified above with better grades will be counted towards the GPA for determining the award classification (as stipulated in GAR 9.1.4).


Taking extra elective course(s) from other Domain(s) such as Discipline Studies, Professional/Educational Studies and General Education not specified in the above Table A

The credit points attempted will be counted towards the graduation requirements and the corresponding grade(s) attained for those elective course(s) will be included in the relevant GPA calculations such as Major GPA and if applicable, Elective Domain specified in the above paragraph 2.3.1 will also apply. Students who wish to take course(s) as mentioned above should indicate the elective(s) by completing a form and submit it to the relevant Faculty before course registration. A copy of the completed form should be sent to the Registry via the respective Faculty for processing and record. You may download the form from this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456).


Taking extra course(s) outside the programme curriculum (i.e. not required by the Programme)

Students who wish to take course(s) offered in other programmes of the Institute which is not required by their current Programme should seek approval from their Programme Leader/Coordinator before course registration. The credit points earned will not be counted towards the graduation requirements and programme GPA but will be included in the cumulative GPA. You may download the application form from this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2456). Please submit the completed form to the relevant Faculty to obtain prior approval from the Programme Leader/Coordinator. You will be informed of the result of your application by your Faculty via email. A copy of the approved application form should be sent to the Registry via the respective Faculty for processing and record.


Students in full-time undergraduate programmes under the new 4-or 5-year curriculum) (e.g. A4B066-71, A4B073-75, A5B057-65) admitted in 2012/13* and thereafter are required to complete at least one course from the Elective Domain (specified in the above Table A) offered by a Faculty other than the student's home Faculty, upon graduation.

*This also applies to students admitted with Advanced Standing offer of Year 2.

2.4 Examination Timetables and Arrangements

2.4.1 Assessment of academic performance normally comprises coursework, block practice (if appropriate) and examination. You will be informed of the assessment criteria from the course lecturers concerned within the first two class meetings. Written examinations for courses are usually held at the end of each semester. For those courses taken by a large number of students, the examinations concerned are mostly administered by the Assessments, Records and Systems Section of the Registry and students of the same course may be allocated to different examination venues. For examinations administered by the Registry, the consolidated Examination Timetable will be posted on the Intranet normally three weeks before the examination period. You can also check your individual Examination Timetable together with your examination seat number(s) via MyIEd. You should arrive at the examination venue thirty minutes before the examination starts if you need to check your seating arrangement. You must bring your Student Identity Card (IEdSmart) for attendance checking by the invigilators(s). If students with special needs require any special examination arrangements, please contact the Assessments, Records and Systems Section at 2948 6710.

2.4.2 For examinations NOT administered by the Registry, you should follow the arrangements as announced by the concerned course lecturers. For these examinations, enquiries should be addressed to the concerned course lecturers..

2.5 Examination Arrangements during Bad Weather

2.5.1 The Institute has established special examination arrangements in the event of tropical cyclone and rainstorm (Please refer to the Chapter 15 of the e-student handbook.). You may also call the Registry hotline at 2948 6196 to check for any special announcements during the tropical cyclone/rainstorm. If an examination administered by the Registry is cancelled because of bad weather, you may check the Intranet for the Contingency Examination Schedule (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2395) three weeks before the examination period. For examinations that are NOT administered by the Registry, you should contact the course lecturer(s) or the Department(s) concerned for the contingency arrangements.

2.6 Student Conduct at Examinations

You must follow the instruction of the invigilator(s). Please refer to the Guidelines Governing the Invigilation of Examinations. Violation of any regulations will be subject to disciplinary action by the Institute (see Section 18 of the General Academic Regulations 'Academic Honesty').

2.7 Board of Examiners

Under the present structure governing student assessment, assessment results and the award classifications for graduating students are determined by the relevant Board of Examiners. The course grades are announced via MyIEd according to the date of online grade release announced at this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?m=2448&secid=2395). If you wish to request for a review of the assessment results, you should refer to the General Academic Regulations, 'Review of Course Grades' (Section 9.2) and 'Review of Board of Examiners' Decisions on Discontinuation' (Section 16), and 'Procedures for Appealing Against the Decisions of Board of Examiners for Discontinuation of Studies or the Decisions of Student Disciplinary Committee or Academic Departments for Disciplinary Actions' under the 'Rules and Regulations' in this Student Handbook for details. Late applications will not be considered.

2.8 Information Technology Competency

In order to ensure that our students can attain the required level of Information Technology Competency, the Institute is committed to equipping students for demonstrating competent use of Information Technology (IT) in learning. Starting from 2012/13, students who are enrolled in the non-education or education undergraduate programmes (not leading to Qualified Teachers Status (QTS)/Qualified Kindergarten Teachers (QKT)) are required to pass the Information Technology Competency Test (ITC Test) before graduation.

Furthermore, students will develop the confidence and creativity in the use of IT through various IT provisions, and also the capacity to explore and experiment with various ways that IT can be applied in educational contexts.  IT will be integrated in a systematic way across the entire programme. In this regard, students who admitted to education programmes (leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)/Qualified Kindergarten Teacher (QKT)) in 2012/13 and thereafter are required to pass all the required courses in the programme and the ITC Test to demonstrate the attainment of Information Technology Competency in Education (ITCE) before graduation.

You are advised to refer to this website (https://www.ied.edu.hk/mit/view.php?secid=3022) for more details.

2.9 Academic Documents


The following types of academic documents are only issued to students upon application and payment of fees, unless specified. You can apply for academic documents online via MyIEd (Natvigation: MyIEd > iServices > Online Services > e-SIS > Student Services > Application for Academic Documents or by downloading the application form from Registry's homepage (https://www.ied.edu.hk/registry/view.php?%20m=2448&secid=2456) under ‘For Students’ or obtain it from the Information Centre (Room 11, Ground Floor, Block A, Tai Po Campus). Please complete the form clearly and return it by post to the Information Centre with the payment slip. For charges of those documents, please refer to the section on ‘Other Fees’ of ‘Student Finance’ in the e-Student Handbook. Please note that if you have any unsettled outstanding institutional fees incurred during your study, the Institute will WITHHOLD the issue of all types of ACADEMIC DOCUMENTS (as specified below) to you. Transcript of Studies

Transcript of Studies is an official document containing the full updated list of course grades attained by you in the programme. You can print your assessment results of each semester during your course of study via Grade Enquiry at MyIEd after the Board of Examiners has approved the assessment results. If you wish to obtain an official copy of the results, you may submit your application and payment of fees to the Registry for processing after the Board of Examiners has approved the assessment results.

Experiential Learning and Achievements Transcript (ELAT)

The Experiential Learning and Achievements Transcript (ELAT) (formerly known as ACAT) serves as an Institute’s formal certificate to recognize your achievement and participation in experiential learning, such as overseas exchange projects, non-education work-related experiences and co-curricular activities.

For further details please see (http://www.ied.edu.hk/sao/eng/view.php?id=11).


A Testimonial is issued by the Institute upon your request certifying your enrolment in the programme, the year of enrolment, the programme mode and duration. You may send your requests for testimonials to the Registry for processing.

Statement of Results

One copy of the Statement of Results is issued free of charge to you after you have satisfied the graduation requirements. It is an official letter certifying your completion of programme, the programme mode and duration, and your impending graduation.

Award Certificate

Upon successful completion of a programme of study, you will be issued an award certificate after the Congregation in November/ December of the year of graduation. NO duplicate copies of award certificates will be issued. You may request for a certified true copy of the certificate on payment of the required fee and presentation of the original certificate.

You should approach the teaching staff direct for personal reference letters.

2.10 Language Policy and Related Issues


Language Exit Requirements for Undergraduate Students admitted in 2012/13 and thereafter

The Institute recognizes the importance of language proficiency for all students. You are expected to develop and demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in Chinese, English and Putonghua. As such, all students of full-time undergraduate programmes (except top-up degree and conversion programme) who are admitted in September 2012 and thereafter will be subject to Language Exit Requirements (LERs) for English and Putonghua. For the details of LERs, please refer to this website (http://www.ied.edu.hk/clp/?page_id=1422).


Internal Test of English Language Proficiency (ITELP)
(applicable to students of BEd(EL) programme admitted in 2011/12 or before)

If you take English as a Major Subject, you are expected to demonstrate the attainment of Level 3 or above in all major components of the Institute's Internal Test of English Language Proficiency (ITELP)* in order to graduate. For the test schedule/arrangements of the ITELP, please refer to CLE’s website for details (http://www.ied.edu.hk/cle).

*You may be exempted from the ITELP if you have reached the required level in the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority's (HKEAA) external LPATE test (http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/lpat/).


Common English Proficiency Assessment Scheme (CEPAS)
(The last round exercise will be held in 2013/14.) Background

The CEPAS is supported by the University Grants Committee (UGC) under which all final-year students of UGC-funded undergraduate degree programmes (both full-time and part-time) are encouraged to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic module test.

Purpose of CEPAS

(a) To promote enhanced awareness of the importance of English proficiency among students.


To provide a common framework for assessing and documenting graduating students' English proficiency at graduate exit level.


To provide an internationally recognized assessment for students wishing to pursue further studies or entering the workforce.


To enable the UGC to have a better understanding of Hong Kong graduate students' English abilities. This will help the UGC in formulating its strategies in respect of language enhancement.

IELTS – Academic Module

The IELTS academic module assesses the ability to use English language in all four communication skills, namely, listening, reading, writing and speaking.

CEPAS and HKIEd Students

All non-English Major and English Major students are expected to take the CEPAS-IELTS test by their final year of studies. If students can demonstrate an IELTS score of 7 or above or equivalent, they can apply for credit transfer from related courses offered as part of their Institute's language enhancement programme.

Final Year Students in 2013/14

Students who will graduate in the academic year 2013/14 can register for a CEPAS-IELTS test from September to October 2013.

Final-year students who participate in CEPAS will be eligible to apply for reimbursement of the test fee. The reimbursement is on condition that a statement concerning their possession of an IELTS result under UGC's CEPAS would appear on their academic transcripts. Eligible students have to submit an application for reimbursement via the Institute before the prescribed deadline.

Participation in CEPAS is voluntary.

Students who take IELTS through other channels are not eligible for test fee reimbursement.

For more detailed information about UGC's CEPAS, please visit this website (http://www.ugccepa.com).

2.11 Field Experience


Students who receive a failure grade in a Teaching Block Practice will be put on FE probation. Normally, the minimum period for FE Probation is one semester. A Case Conference will be convened to discuss the case, review evidences after investigation and recommend remedial work for every failure case. The student concerned is required to fulfill the remedial work and produce a report with evidences to show how he/she has addressed the recommendations. The FE probation status will be lifted, upon the Chairperson’s endorsement of the student’s report. The students will not be allowed to conduct Teaching Block Practice until FE Probation is lifted.