In Hong Kong, tenant has two alternatives to rent a flat, one is to deal with the landlord directly, and the other is seeking assistance from property agent in finding a flat. Usually, the people in Hong Kong like to select the latter one because it saves time and have more choices. However the tenant is required to pay for the commission to the agent. Below are the procedures to reach the tenancy agreement.
- Landlord release her flat for rental in the market through property agents;
- Tenant approach property agent and list out her preference of a flat;
- The agent sort out the most suitable flat for the tenant and arrange house visit;
- If the tenant satisfies with the conditions of the flat, then come into the details with the landlord such as rental price, rental period, furniture provided etc.
- The agent would draft the agreement for both parties after all terms are discussed;
- The tenant should double check with the agreement before signing;
- The tenant and landlord keep a copy of the “Tenancy Agreement”.