Using Google Gmail
Accessing Google Gmail
To access Gmail or Google Apps, please go to
http://webmail.ied.edu.hk/, then click on the Students.
Note: For "Friends.ied" users, please access your Gmail from
Then enter you username (e.g. s1234567) and password.
How to change password
To change your Google password, you can refer to our online FAQ -
How do I change the Google password?
Reading a Message
- To read a message, click the Sender Name or Subject of the message
- If you find some unrecognisable words in the email, try to select the
appropriate encoding of the browser.
Sending a Message
- Click the Compose Mail link from the left panel.
- Enter recipients' email addresses at the To: field.
For more than one recipient, use comma " , " to separate their email addresses.
(You can click on the To: for your saved Contacts)
- Enter the subject and the message body.
- If you want to attach a document to the email, click the Attach a file
to locate the attachment. (You can select multiple files or repeat this process
to include more attachment).
- Finally, click the Send button to send off the message.
While composing a message, you may decide to send it later. In this
case, you can save the message by clicking the 'Save
Now' and the message will be stored in the Drafts folder.
You can restore the message from the Draft folder later on and if needed,
you can make further changes before sending it off.
- Select the messages you want to delete by checking the box(es) at the front.
- Click the Delete icon and the selected
message(s) will be moved to the Trash.
- By default, these messages will be retained in the Trash for 30 days
- To manually remove all the messages in the Trash, first select the
Trash from the left panel (the Trash may be hidden by default,
you can click on the more to show all folders). Then select the email(s)
you want to remove from the trash and then click the Delete Forever icon.
Searching for a Message
When you are having thousands of emails, it is hard to locate a message page by page.
Gmail offers you the "Search Mail" features to help you. Just type in the keywords
and click the Search Mail button.
Cleaning Up Your Mailbox
Email messages will use up your email
disk quota. You are recommended to remove obsolete messages
regularly to free up space. Besides the Inbox folder,
there are some other folders that sometimes you may need to manually remove
When you delete a message, it will be temporarily
placed in this folder. By default, messages moved to the Trash will
be retained for 30 days and after that, they will be deleted by the
- Sent Mail
Copies of messages that you sent are stored in this folder.
Copies of messages that you saved for further editing.
- Other folders...
Actually, Gmail does not use folders. To help you organize your mail
more effectively, Gmail uses labels instead.
To clean up messages from any of the above folders, select the folder
from the left panel to view its content. Use the method
mentioned in the previous section Deleting
Messages to delete the items in the folder.
Changing display language
For the display language, it will be shown as English by default. You can
change to other language for display by:
- On the top right hand corner, click Settings.
- From the General tab, under the Languages session,
you can change to other language you prefer.
- Then click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
You may setup Vacation responder to your received emails. To
do that, follow the steps:
- Click the Settings on top right hand corner.
- From the General tab, under the Vacation responder session,
choose the Vacation responder on and enter the auto reply message in the provided text box.
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
* To turn off the Vacation responder feature, simply change the option
to Vacation responder off.
Forward to other email address
You may setup email forwarding to redirect all your received emails to
other email address. To do that, follow the steps:
- To forward all emails to other email address, click Settings from
the top right hand corner.
- Change to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Then click "Add a forwarding address".
- Enter the destination email address you want to forward.
- Gmail will sent a email with "confirmation code" to your daddress.
- You can either open the URL in the email to confirm the request or
enter the "confirmation code" in Gmail as below and click "Verify".
- Then choose on the radio button called 'Forward a copy of incoming mail to '.
And choose your destination email address in the box provided.
- Next, you can choose to 'keep The HKIEd Mail’s copy in the inbox'
or other options you prefer.
- Then click the Save Changes button.
* To turn off the Forward feature, simply change the radion button back
to Disbale forwarding.
After you finish using the webmail, click the Sign Out icon to
logoff so as to prevent others from reading your emails or sending emails
in your name.
For more details, you can refer to the
Gmail Online Help
or click Help from the upper right corner after you sign in Gmail.